Subject: Re: lfs stuff not working...?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2000 13:00:26
On 09.09.00, 11:13:54, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> The fstab(5) man page says:
>
>            lfs     a log-structured file-system.  Currently does not work.

Methinks that this manpage needs to be updated. lfs _does_ work.

> and, indeed, I'm finding this to be true.

But it is not. See below.

> Oh well... Back to ffs with softdeps, then. I was hoping to give LFS a
> try! We might wish to *not* encourage lots of people to try LFS if it's
> in its final state for 1.5. :(

I have been using LFS for several months now without any trouble. It
started working quite reliably well before the 1.5-branch started.
(Something like 1.4S or so)

Of course, you need to have LFS support enabled in the kernel, and
preferably the disklabel should reflect, too, that this is to be an
lfs partition. Here's what an entry might look like:

  g:  5731884  2735316     4.4LFS     1024  8192     7   # (Cyl. 2666 - 8252*)

All this is also mentioned in newfs_lfs(8)

I have in the past have success in lfs-formatting a partition with a
disklabel-fstype of 4.2BSD, but I don't know if that's still possible
and I don't think it's recommended.

Good luck with LFS, it really rocks when creating or deleting many
files, significantly faster than FFS/Softdep.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: preferred by Rocket Scientists and Moms!
		-- Steven J. Dovich