Subject: mod to the ess driver?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2000 19:51:02
Folks,
        I have a Digital HiNote Ultra II laptop which has an ess sound
chip in it.  The ess driver probes it as a ess1788 chip but the probe
bombs out complaining it cannot set a bit in a register.  I tracked
this down in the driver and, just for kicks, made the error
non-fatal.  Doing this made the sound work, where the value of work is
"can play mp3's @ 44.1k in stereo".  I cannot find any useful
documentation on the ess chips (what I found on the web site was more
a hardware style app note) so I cannot say what "bit 2" does or does
not do for me.  Would it be valid to just make the test a non-fatal
error in the probe?  Has anyone got the register documentation for
this chip? (or know where I can get it)

Here is what I get with my hack in place....

ess: Hardware error (unable to toggle bit 2 of mixer register 0x64)
ess0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 drq2 5
ess0ess: Hardware error (unable to toggle bit 2 of mixer register
0x64)
: ESS Technology ES1788 [version 0x688b]
ess0: audio1 interrupting at irq 5
audio0 at ess0: half duplex, mmap, independent