Subject: Re: quickly find what applications are affected by RSA
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2000 10:53:54
>How can I quickly find (or create) a list of BSD-related applications that
>use the RSA algorithm?
>(Not exactly, NetBSD related: OpenBSD says "A clever trick allows us to
>distribute the same CD-ROM (USA and the rest of the world) and maintain
>full strength crypto without violating the RSA patent in the USA." Does
>anyone know what this clever trick is? Is it simply using a different
>algorithm(s) instead of RSA's? And if so, are they better/worse?)

	openbsd has a base "libcrypto" library in the default installation
	system, and RSA is shipped as a separate binary pkg ("ports" in openbsd
	terminlolgy).
	if you are in the US, you need to fetch RSA binary pkg compiled from
	RSAREF, and you need to be non-commercial to use (IIRC).
	if you are outside of the US, you need to fetch RSA binar pkg
	compiled from non-RSAREF source.

	http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=afterboot&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+2.7&arch=alpha&format=html
	("INSTALLING SHARED CRYPTO LIBRARIES WITH RSA INCLUDED" section)

itojun