Subject: Re: IPv6 Comment
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Alex Barclay <alex@cy603256-a.cospgs1.co.home.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2000 18:19:11
On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> >Renumbering is clearly a touted benefit of IPv6 vs IPv4, and it is
> >touted by exactly the same set of people you see downplaying the
> >ease of renumbering of IPv6 on the IETF list, viz. then-members
> >and current members of the IAB.
>
> I'm sorry, I read all of that stuff before, and I simply don't
> come to the same conclusion.

I came to the original conculsion that renumbering would be easier. In the
last couple of years this seems to have been downplayed significantly.

Thinking about it I feel there are two reasons. Firstly it's a damn hard
problem. Secondly the ipng folks tend to be equipment vendors or network
operators; equipment vendors don't care directly about renumbering so long
as they shift boxes; network operators don't need renumbering as it would
allow end users to change isp's more easily, I could even think that there
was a conspiracy here :-) At the end of the day I think that IPv6 gives
many advantages, including the sorely needed address space. I hope to see
the renumbering issue dealt with later and am not too disappointed that it
hasn't happened yet (especially given my contract for t1 service is for
multiple years).

Alex.