Subject: Re: IPv6 Comment
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: S.P.Zeidler <spz@serpens.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/2000 23:18:47
Thus wrote Sean Doran (smd@ebone.net):

> The conflation of NAT with ALG by some IPv6-Lovers strikes me as
> an increasingly desperate ploy to discourage the use of IPv4-lifetime-extension
> tools that allow for the localization of scope of transport addresses.

Oh, have no doubt we will -need- those lifetime extension tools
desperately, yet. IPv6 is gaining momentum from where I view it .. since
last autumn, all major German providers and several lesser ones have
gotten themselves production IPv6 address spaces and most of them have
them active. But like getting CIDR out to customers took years, the larger
change of going to IPv6 will take lots of time.

Two years ago, we were at 195/8 in Europe, now it's 217/8. The curve has
been bent down significantly by PAT (commonly referred to as NAT), but
it's still pointing to the ceiling, and that's not too far above.
In fact, it's so little headroom that I see no successor or alternative
protocol to IPv6 come about in time, especially if one knows how long IPv6
took. :-} We have some years with v4 address space yet, but not another ten.

regards,
	spz
--
spz@serpens.de (S.P.Zeidler)