Subject: Re: Supported/suggested hardware
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5l_Halvorsen?= <paalh@unik.no>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/2000 01:01:29
On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 02:44:58PM +0200, Pål Halvorsen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm going to buy a new machine for a multimedia storage server on NetBSD
> port i386. I think I'll use -current, because we have a Gbps network card
> using the syssrc/sys/dev/pci/if_ti.c driver.

This driver is also here in 1.4.2 and 1.4.3_ALPHA

> Does anyone have a suggestion of what hardware I shoud choose, which is
> supported in NetBSD? I have been looking at Dell Precision 420/620. Have
> anyone tried these machines?
> 32/64 bit PCI bus? As we have a network card, I think the bus and the disk
> HW might be most important.

With a gigabit ethernet you definitively want to have 64 bit PCI slots.
You may also want to use 64bit scsi boards such as the ones based on
the symbios 53c896 (BTW, this one is only supported in 1.5_ALPHA).

I can't recommend i386 hardware for this, I only use PCs for small servers.
But I can recommend the alpha DS20, it's a great machine.