Subject: Re: your mail
To: None <garph@661.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/01/2000 19:43:11
On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 04:44:34AM -0700, garph@661.org wrote:
> Perhaps the Athlon isn't exactly an i386.  Earlier I posted about load
> averages of >0.40 on an Abit KA7 with 800MHz Athlon when the averages
> should have been no higher than 0.02 or so.  Then again, maybe there's
> trouble with the hd controller driver.  Nobody's noticed similar trouble
> with this mobo/cpu combination?

Load average is only accurate when you have multiple, tending-to-be-cpu-bound,
processes.

If a process aquires the cpu, gets sampled for computing load average, and
releases the cpu after 10 microseconds, and does is hz time per second,
synchronized to the system clock interupt, it will still count as a load
average of 1.0

Regards,
	-is