Subject: Re: [Xpert] xdm login screen problems with XFree 4.0.1 and NetBSD-1.5Alpha2
To: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
From: David Dawes <dawes@XFree86.Org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/2000 11:07:24
On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 08:50:57AM -0500, John Hayward wrote:
>Dear NetBSDers and XFree86 People,
>   I donwloaded source for XFree 4.0.1 and was happy to see it built out
>of the box.  I can run startx so things are basicly operational.
>   If I fire up xdm I briefly see the cross hatch background then the
>screen turns white and I do see xconsole down in the bottom right.  No
>login box or prompts appear.  If I enter user and password (typing blind)
>I get logged in and window manager starts up.
>   Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing these problems of
>greeter within xdm?

I've seen this same problem.  When xdm was modified to display a
logo, the code assumed that the relevant resources are set in the
Xresources config file.  Fixing it to work when they're not set
has been on my todo list for a while.  The resources in question
are set as follows in the 4.x xdm/Xresources file:

#if PLANES >= 8
xlogin*logoFileName: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/pixmaps/XFree86.xpm
#else
xlogin*logoFileName: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/pixmaps/XFree86bw.xpm
#endif
xlogin*useShape: true
xlogin*logoPadding: 10

David