Subject: performance slowdown after longish uptime
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: current-users
Date: 08/25/2000 12:09:09
We have a problem using current that after a machine has been running for 1 to
2 weeks it gets into a state where performance goes to pot with large amounts
of disk activity accompanying any operation.
eg starting netscape takes over a minute rather than the normal 15 seconds or
so.  This persists until you reboot the machine.

This is with 1.5A on i386 but the problem has been there with any current
version we've run back through 1.4P and possibly earlier.  I had been
assuming that it was somehow softdep related so upgraded to a new current each
time significant bugfixes to the softdep code were announced, then waited a
couple of weeks to see if the problem was still there.  Thinking about it I'm
not sure how it could be softdep related as it happens when all you are doing
is reading from a filesystem that is not mounted with softdep.

So can anyone suggest what I can do to try and pin this down?

cheers
mark