Subject: Re: Upgrading to current (1.5_alpha2)
To: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
From: Chris Pinnock <C.J.E.Pinnock@qmw.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/2000 16:20:04
On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 09:50:15AM -0500, Ruibiao Qiu wrote:
> I just made a kernel with current source tree, and boot with it.
> However, I cant use 'ps' and 'w' any more.  The error messages
> are shown below:
>
> ps: proc size mismatch (67080 total, 680 chunks).
> ps: /proc exists but does not have a procfs mounted on it.
> ps: fallback /proc-based lookup also failed.  Giving up...

> I then tried to make 'ps' and 'w'.  I got the error messages as
> shown below.[snip]

The warnings are being treated as errors. You can ignore them (at
your own risk and peril) by doing

	setenv NOGCCERROR

(if you are using /bin/csh) and then making the relevant binaries. It
is possible that after doing this, the compile will fail for other
reasons (remember that NetBSD-current is not guaranteed to even compile).

> I wonder what is the right procedure to upgrade the
> libraries and binaries to suite a new kernel?

If you are upgrading between very close versions of NetBSD, e.g.
1.4.1 and 1.4.2, you could try doing "make build"
in /usr/src. However this may not work between versions that
are not so close together (e.g. 1.4.2 and 1.5_ALPHA), for which
there is no generic "right" way of doing things (for example
on some arch's, 1.4.2 and 1.5_ALPHA have a different binary
format).

best wishes,
--
Chris