Subject: perl malfunctioning
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2000 00:41:54
Hi,

  I've been having perl problems recently. Programs which have compiled
and run fine in the past seem to be broken now. I'm completely at a loss
as well, since the error messages don't seem useful in tracking down the
problem. For example:

bob% cat test
#!/usr/pkg/bin/perl -w
#

use CGI qw(:standard);

my $login = param( "login" );

print "read $login\r\n";
bob% perl test
Unquoted string "expires" may clash with future reserved word at (eval 1)
line 122
6.
Bareword found where operator expected at (eval 1) line 1226, near "time
exactly"
        (Do you need to predeclare time?)
Unquoted string "c" may clash with future reserved word at (eval 1) line
1598.
Bareword found where operator expected at (eval 1) line 1598, near "--
really"
        (Missing operator before really?)
Unquoted string "subroutines" may clash with future reserved word at (eval
1) line
 1598.
syntax error at (eval 1) line 1226, near "expires time"

The problem seems to manifest itself when I use the CGI package, but other
cgi/perl apps I've written and worked fine before suddenly have started
misbehaving as well.

Can anyone offer some guidance/explaination? This is happening with
NetBSD 1.4.2 i386 generic #3 kernel.

Thanks in advance.

// Erik Huizing   huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
// www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~huizing