Subject: Re: arp warning message
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/2000 17:24:15
>> request or reply?  i guess i can try both...
>
>requests are broadcast. Replies aren't.

of course.  :)

>Furthermore, replies won't be sent if they fail the abovementioned check.

i'm trying to manufacture arp packets that will trigger the kernel
message, so whether or not they'd normally be sent isn't an issue.

also note that i'm *not* trying to make the machine in questions crash
(although indeed it might as a result of the changes i've made), just
spew the message.

>So I guess in normal practice (that is, unintentional misconfigurations)
>you won't ever see those events being triggered by reply packets, only
>by requests.

sure.

>But yes, you could probably send replies to a single machine with the dst
>IP address in the packet pointing to outside of the subnet of the target
>machine; all you need to send a reply is the Ethernet-and-friends MAC or
>ARCnet node id.

so...if i send a reply to my machine at 204.17.3.77 from 205.17.3.125,
it should get a warning printed, yesh?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|