Subject: Re: Postfix
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/2000 21:09:19
On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 2:57 PM, David Maxwell <mailto:david@vex.net> wrote:
>I'm only aware of two, qmgr, and postfix. I'll give you a quick
tutorial...

>postfix start  (starts the daemons)
>postfix stop   (stops the daemons)
>postfix reload (reloads config files)

man -k postfix

I count 26 man pages.

>> configuration, or postfix queue management etc.  If there was a
compelling
>> reason for replacing sendmail with postfix I wouldn't be complaining,
but

>Security. Configurability.
>
>> there is just absolutely no justification at all.  Why fix something
>> that's not broken?  Seems like it's just a personal crusade by a few
>> postfix fans :(
>
>sendmail _is_ broken. Go buy the thickest book O'Reilly prints if you
don't
>believe me.

 I have the book, at 1024 pages for 40USD it is a bargain.
Sendmail is _not_ broken.

>--
>David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net -->
>(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being
artistic!
>					      - Jamie Woods

Here is my setup:
I have Cyberdog 2.0 running on my Mac.  It sends mail with the year
as 100 for year 2000.  I use a shell script with awk to change the
year in the envelope of messages queued by sendmail.  To make this
work I need the mail to stay in the queue on initial submission.
Then I can scan the queue for mail, rewrite any envelopes that need
it and move the mail to a new queue.  Sendmail then delivers mail
spooled in the new queue on demand from my /etc/ppp/ip-up when
the dynamic IP ppp link comes up.

I also send mail directly to other sights (my mail hub is best MX)
by masquerading as my ISP.

And sendmail does not try to sendmail when the ppp connection is down.

How would (could) I do all this with postfix?

Postfix does not use a seperate envelope, so I
would be forced to run my awk script over the
entire message.  Not the ideal way to munge a
envelope field.

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.