Subject: Re: newfs_lfs is very quiet?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/2000 20:00:00
Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com> typed:
:I tried to create an LFS this weekend. I updated my disklabel (on a i386
:box) and then did a newfs_lfs on the partition.
:After a brief pause I got a shell prompt. I don't have drive leds for this
:box, so I'm not very sure if it actually did anything. When I tried
:to mount the filesystem the kernel trapped with some sort of math
:error (I didn't write it down, sorry!).

I wrote it down but I can't find it at the moment.  A _udivdi3 call, I think,
but don't remember at the moment where it came from.  Using my old LFS
partition, it crashed with a new kernel.  It crashed with a new kernel
and new lfs_cleanerd.  Using a new kernel, new lfs_cleanerd and newfs_lfs
on the partition and I'm back up and running.
I don't think newfs_lfs normally prints anything, but I can't check at
the moment since the dummy run fails for me:

% newfs_lfs -N /dev/rwd0g
newfs_lfs: /dev/rwd0g: seek: Bad file descriptor

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>     Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>      Ego URL : http://pobox.com/~gcw/