Subject: Re: USB on HiNote VP710 Laptop: "can't map i/o space"
To: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/2000 00:48:28
<duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ> (Duncan McEwan) writes:

> Then I tried it on my HiNote laptop and couldn't get it to work, I think
> because the USB bus is not detected/configured properly.  The dmesg output
> from a boot of the laptop says

>      uhci0 at pci0 dev 1 function 2: Intel 82371AB USB Host Controller (PIIX4)
>      (rev. 0x01)
>      uhci0: can't map i/o space

That's definitely a problem.

What's the kernel configuration of the machine?

Can you build and boot a kernel with PCI_CONFIG_DUMP and
MSGBUFSIZE=131072? I'm curious where the uhci's i/o registers are ending up.

> The kernel configuration is identical in this area for both machines, and
> just says
>
>      uhci*   at pci? dev ? function ?    # Universal Host Controller (Intel)
>      usb*    at uhci?
>      umass* at uhub? port ? configuration ? interface ?
>      scsibus* at umass? channel ?

This looks fine...

Do you have any of the PCIBIOS options enabled in the kernel
configurations?

        - Nathan