Subject: Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/2000 10:03:17
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> I've suggested, multiple times, something to the effect of:
>
> #options 	EMUL_AOUT	# use /emul/aout as additional paths for a.out
> 				# (not required for use with compat14 package)
>
> ...commented out by default.

Good one.  I've been thinking, though: would it be possible to make
EMUL_AOUT (and, possibly, the other EMUL_* options) tweakable as to
the kind of directory search mechanism they provide?  If you could
choose between:

 - searching only /emul/... (sort of an /emul jail)
 - searching only /... (requiring ld.so to check /emul/...)
 - searching /emul/... first, then /... (current behavior)
 - searching /... first, then /emul/...
 - searching a union of /emul/... on top of /... (like unionfs)

...well, I think that could be useful.  Possibly not sufficiently so
to warrant the work, but useful.  And kind of cool.  :-)

-tih
--
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.
                                                     --Eric S. Raymond