Subject: Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/2000 10:27:06
    Date:        Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:07:34 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>

  | While removing it from GENERIC might be ok, if we keep the COMPAT_AOUT
  | code in the kernel, we shoudn't remove it from OPTIONS(4). We should be
  | increasing our documentation, not decreasing it. :-)

That depends upon whether anyone should really normally be using the
option or not, and how easy it is to describe its purpose and effects.

I have no problem at all with MAXBSIZE not being documented anywhere,
nor that it takes a make clean; make combination to change its value.
It is so esoteric, and its effects so hard to specify that documenting it
reasonably would be difficult at best, and mostly just confuse anyone
who came across it.   COMPAT_AOUT is probably about the same.

kre