Subject: Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/2000 13:39:41
    Date:        Sun, 6 Aug 2000 23:23:47 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>

  | I've yet to hear compelling arguments as to why it's detrimental.

And that "ls /usr" using an a.out version of ls (like perhaps an old
colorls binary) doesn't really list /usr is not detrimental ?

  | After all, binaries for other emulations use this scheme.

It would be nice to change that as well.   Perhaps only the very first
pathname lookup might use the magic redirection for some emulations
(just enough to find a suitable ld.so - for those emulations where the
source of the applicable ld.so can be obtained and modified to look for
its libraries in some other place than /usr/lib (or /lib))

kre