Subject: Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal
To: Kazushi Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@vaasje.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/2000 01:47:14
On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 06:45:01PM -0500, Kazushi Marukawa wrote:
> I've used NetBSD about several years.  Therefore, I have
> many aout executables in my NetBSD box, and I'd like to use
> them without re-compilation if it is possible.  I knew the
> unwanted side-effect.  It confused me sometimes.  However,
> it's better than nothing, forcing of all recompilation.

You won't need to recompile anything. There will be a /usr/libexec/ld.so
that will find the a.out shared libraries under /emul/aout. In other
words, it will work as before.

The only thing that will happen is that you no longer have the
side-effect that all BSD a.out binaries will look in /emul/aout
for *all* files first.

- Frank