Subject: Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@vaasje.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/2000 23:23:47
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:

: So far, I've heard of 2 people who use COMPAT_AOUT for its (unwanted)
: side-effects. To me, that is not convincing enough to keep code in
: the kernel that will confuse people by what it does when they enable
: it, and which will break things too.

*NOT* having it enabled breaks things for me, because it is, quite plainly,
an emulation.  The native binaries are ELF, not a.out, and they are *not*
"simple" to intermix.

I've yet to hear compelling arguments as to why it's detrimental.  After
all, binaries for other emulations use this scheme.  Please do not remove
this option based on your own whim.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/