Subject: Re: COMPAT_AOUT removal
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/2000 23:09:32
Paul Goyette writes:
> For those of us who have lost track of whether this affects us or not,
> is there some easy way to find out if we still have anything hanging
> around that might use COMPAT_AOUT?

The only way this could possibly affect you is if you were using the
fact that aout binaries only (first?) look in /emul/aout for any files.
I can't really think of a good example of this type of (ab)use.  There are
probably a couple of obvious ones like seperate configuration files for an
aout binary, but I can't think of any right now. :-)

Basically the whole point of COMPAT_AOUT is/was to allow aout binaries to
_find their libraries_, not provide a "shadow filesystem" for them.  The
proposed change won't affect the ability to run shared aout binaries on
an ELF system.

-Andrew