Subject: Re: ntpd needs how much memory?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2000 23:37:38
On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 03:27:09PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> It looks like ntpd wants to lock the entire process in memory.  On my
> -current i386, this appears to be around 3.4MB.  That syslog message
> should be only a warning - does ntpd continue to otherwise run ok?

Hard to tell.

I've got one machine that I run xntpd on as a client, and then I
have my other machines (currently only one) as clients of the
main machine.

The main machine (tome) on boot starts my ppp connection. However,
ppp races ntpd and ntpd loses. So, I get "no route to host" errors
from ntpd. I don't think ntpd on tome ever syncs up with it's server
in this case.

Therefore, when my other box (ironwood) tries to sync up with tome,
I get the error about no suitable servers found.

So, I really can't comment on ntpd working or not when it can't lock
itself in memory.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.