Subject: Re: plurals vs. apostrophes (Revision)
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/30/2000 09:21:34
I omitted the note dealing with plural nouns after subsection three.
My apology to all of you reading this. BA-

Last revision July 30, 2000. BA-

... Examples omitted.

 "The Apostrophe" (Warriner 603)

"Use an apostrophe to form the possessive
case of nouns and indefinite pronouns and to
indicate the omission of letters in a contraction.
Do not use an apostrophe to form the
possessive case of personal pronouns."

"APOSTROPHES TO FORM POSSESSIVES"

"(1) To form the possessive case of a singular noun, add
an apostrophe and an s."
 "In words of more than one syllable which end in
an s-sound, it is permissible to form the singular
possessive by adding the apostrophe without the s.
This is done to avoid too many s-sounds."
"(2) To form the possessive case of a plural noun not
ending in s, add an apostrophe and an s."
"(3) To form the possessive case of a plural noun ending
in s, add the apostrophe only."
 "Note: Do not use the apostrophe to form the plural of a
noun."

"PRONOUNS IN THE POSSESSIVE CASE"

"(4) The indefinite pronouns one, everyone, everybody,
etc, form their possessive case in the same way as
nouns."
 "Note the correct form of such words when used with else:
everyone else's; somebody else's. Note there is no apostrophe
in oneself."
"(5) Personal pronouns in the possessive case (his, hers,
its, ours, yours, theirs, whose) do not require an
apostrophe."

"COMPOUNDS AND WORDS SHOWING JOINT POSSESSION"
"(6) In compound (hyphenated) words, names of business
firms, and words showing joint possession, only the
last word is possessive in form."
"(7) When two or more persons possess something
individually, each of their names is possessive in
form."

"SPECIAL USES"
"(8) The words minute, hour, day, week, month, year,
etc., when used as possessive adjectives, require an
apostrophe. Words indicating amount in cents or
dollars, when used as possessive adjectives, require
apostrophes.

"APOSTROPHES TO FORM CONTRACTIONS"
"(9) Use an apostrophe to indicate where letters have
been omitted in a contraction. A contraction is a
word made up of two words combined into one by
omitting one or more letters."
"Note: The most common error in the use of the apostrophe
in a contraction (except the failure to use it
at all) comes from the confusion of  it's,  which means
it is,  with the possessive form  its (its appearance),
which has no apostrophe.  Another common error,
probably the result of carelessness, is the insertion of
the apostrophe in the wrong place:  ca'nt  for  can't,
does'nt for doesn't, etc. Also note especially that  let's
 in such an expression as  "Let's go!"  is a contraction
of  let us  and requires an apostrophe for the omitted  u."

"Use the apostrophe and s to form the plural
of letters, numbers, and signs, and of words
referred to as words."

Note: They mean digit where it refers to 'numbers' in the above. BA-

              Work Cited
Warriner, John E., and Griffith, Francis. Punctuation: English
     Grammar and Composition Complete course. USA:Harcourt,
     Brace & World, Inc., 1957.

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.