Subject: Re: -current support for xircom PCMCIA cards?
To: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/2000 17:46:24
On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 06:26:01AM -0700, Eric Fox wrote:
> Well that stinks ... it was handy at times.  I suppose you could prep
> another floppy with a GENERIC kernel on it to copy onto the drive.  Oh
> well, you're beyond that problem now, right?

I am, yes.

I just used netbsd-INSTALL.TINY, and put it on the prepared hard
drive. (Anything larger I would have had to split across floppies,
which was a bit messy.) Then I realized the tiny install is that way
because there's no sysinst, and I wasn't about to figure out the disk
geometry on my own, so I copied the packages from my CD to my drive's
swap (since syinst bitches if / or /usr are mounted during the act of
installation), rebooted off the floppy again, mounted swap (there may
have had to be a newfs'ing in there somewhere, I don't remember), and
installed.

Anyway, I'm typing on the thing now (and, I dug up an intel card which
works with the recent changes to the xi0 driver), but installing on
laptops remains difficult. (I suppose not so much if their BIOS will
support booting off of the CDROM, but...)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net