Subject: Re: multiplying MTAs
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Pete Naylor <pete@supernal.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/2000 10:05:33
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote...

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 02:03:23AM -0700, Pete Naylor wrote:
> >
> > I was quite dismayed to find both sendmail and postfix included in
> > -current.  I can imagine arguments for including one MTA, or none, but two
> > of them?  Can someone please explain the rationale behind this?
>
> Choose whichever you like.

Neither?  I really like the fact that the NetBSD base distribution is very
lean - one of the reasons I choose to use it instead of something like
RedHat Linux.  Why should I have to download and build two (or more?) MTAs
when I will use neither of them?  I don't want to see the base
distribution grow to include every piece of suitably licensed open source
software available.  Please - let people choose their own MTA, get the
source and compile, or grab a package.  Including one MTA in the
distribution makes sense to some, or not including an MTA at all would
make sense too.

Including both sendmail and postfix is just plain silly, IMHO.

--
Pete Naylor