Subject: Re: 8-port Boca boards
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/2000 10:46:35
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 10:30:59AM -0600, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Incidentally, we're using an Intel L440GX+ motherboard (from VA Linux,
> > actually) for these Linux boxes.  It has an "Emergency Management
> > Port" (EMP), which is a serial port with a dedicated, always-powered
> > circuit attached to it.  The EMP can power-up, power-down, and reset
> > the system, as well as tell you the fan speed and CPU temperature.
>
> Looks cool ! Can the system then use it as a regular serial port for system
> console, or do you need a special driver ?

Nope, you need a separate serial port for console, unfortunately.
VACM will make you think it can support a serial console, but it
really can't.

So we've got a console server which has two serial ports for every
co-located linux box.  Not as graceful as it could be, but it does
work.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu