Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc
To: None <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/2000 02:31:22
>From: jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca (John Nemeth)
>Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:07:02 -0700
>
>On Nov 3,  9:59pm, John Hawkinson wrote:
>[...]
>} aliases => alias's
>} apostrophe rule verification from the New York Times Manual of Style and Usage
>
>     Since when is the "New York Times Manual of Style and Usage" a
>definitive reference source of correct grammar?  Given how badly the
>News media tends to butcher the language, I wouldn't use anything
>coming from them as a reference source.  This change is a perfect
>example, since it is wrong!  The rule is that if you are adding "'s" to
>the end of a word in order to indicate possession and the word ends
>with an "s", then you drop the final "s", i.e. the above should be
>"alias'".  While you're fixing that, the first paragraph has, "the

Actually, either way is fine.  If you look hard enough, you will find
authoritative sources stating that "alias'" is correct, or that
"alias's" is correct, or that both are correct.  Some sources will say
that you can always add "'s" to make a plural.  Other sources will say
that you should add "'s" or just "'" depending on how the plural is
pronounced.

If we're really going to make a big deal over this, Core should pick
an authoritative grammar manual for NetBSD (hopefully one that
includes information on the correct use of smileys :-).  But
seriously, I'm a fan of Strunk and White's _The Elements of Style_.
Not that you'd know it from reading my postings...

Cheers,
entropy