Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc
To: None <jhawk@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/2000 23:07:02
On Nov 3,  9:59pm, John Hawkinson wrote:
}
} Module Name:	sharesrc
} Committed By:	jhawk
} Date:		Wed Jul 19 16:52:17 UTC 2000
}
} Modified Files:
} 	sharesrc/share/man/man5: ifaliases.5
}
} Log Message:
} aliases => alias's
} apostrophe rule verification from the New York Times Manual of Style and Usage

     Since when is the "New York Times Manual of Style and Usage" a
definitive reference source of correct grammar?  Given how badly the
News media tends to butcher the language, I wouldn't use anything
coming from them as a reference source.  This change is a perfect
example, since it is wrong!  The rule is that if you are adding "'s" to
the end of a word in order to indicate possession and the word ends
with an "s", then you drop the final "s", i.e. the above should be
"alias'".  While you're fixing that, the first paragraph has, "the
addition addresses", which should be "the additional addresses".  A
little bit later, it says, "The address is a network address of the
alias."  Besides being awkward, this is also wrong.  Although, there
can be multiple aliases, each alias can only have one address,
therefore a definite article is needed here, not an indefinite
article.  I.e., it should be, "The address is *the* network address of
the alias."

}-- End of excerpt from John Hawkinson