Subject: Re: Nice comparisation figures with *BSD, Linux and Solaris
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/2000 10:55:42
Greywolf wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
>
> # One question though... uhm... we're now at 1.5C ... but i cant see any
> # sign yet of the UBC in -current (head) ... or am i really missing
> # things!!! I normally run NetBSD/arm32, NetBSD/sparc and sometimes
> # NetBSD/pmax (not updated that often) and NetBSD/alpha (waiting for
> # repairs).
>
> 1.5C and we haven't hit release yet.  I didn't think we hit the letter
> releases until _after_ a release, i.e. once a release CYCLE starts, isn't
> -current supposed to stay in sync until the actual release and then it
> picks up the dev branch again?

once a release cycle starts, SUP will follow the release branch.
development continues at the usual pace on the mainline.  i believe that
this is still the case now.  when 1.4 was released, i believe that the
mainline was already at 1.4D or something like that.  if you're following
-current via SUP, i think you'll get the release branch.  if you're using
anoncvs, however, you'll obviously get the trunk instead.  it's not like
we're faking out the repository or something ;-)

> What'd I miss?  1.5 isn't due out until after the RSA patent expires.
> Not to mention that, since 1.5_ALPHA is the most recent (i.e. we
> haven't seen _BETA or 1.5 proper), 1.5 isn't really considered stable.

well, with any luck, it will stabilize by later in the year.  the more
people running the release branch and providing feedback on the problems,
the faster it will be fixed and the sooner we'll see the actual release.

i hope this (correctly) explains a few things....

-colin