Subject: Re: Question of Style
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/2000 19:47:36
[responding to old mail which I don't recall seeing an answer to..]

> I have a question of style which doesn't seem to be answered by the
> style document on line.
>
> In system sources, stock, is it considered bad practice to declare
> variables local to a block within a function if the variable will only
> fall into use if a particular run-time flag is given, i.e. is it
> preferable to declare all involved variables ahead of time?

This is very much a question of taste.

The predominant style, is, for the most part, to only put variable
declarations at the top of a function.

I personally violate this on a semi-regular basis.. generally, I move
the declaration to the next outermost block which would "naturally" be
there already.

In general, your best bet is to match the existing style as much as
possible.

				- Bill