Subject: Re: Questions regarding dump
To: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2000 14:09:21
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Grey Wolf wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> # On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 01:01:08PM -0700, Grey Wolf wrote:
> # > 1.  Is dump supposed to rewind/eject the medium if possible between
> # > volumes?
> #
> # If you use /dev/erst0 I think it will.
>
> if I do:
>
> for fs in / /var /usr /export; do
> dump 0usdf 6000 54000 /dev/erst0 $fs
> done

What's wrong with:
------
for fs in / /var /usr ; do
dump 0usdf 6000 54000 /dev/nrst0 $fs || exit $?
done

dump 0usdf 6000 54000 /dev/erst0 /export
exit $?
-----

> ...it will eject the tape as soon as it closes the device, i.e. as soon
> as it finishes dumping the root filesystem, which is only 22MB out of a
> 2048MB tape.  Lot of wasted space, there...
>
> It should rewind/eject the medium if it hits EOT, otherwise it should
> stay put.

No, no, no, no! You can't know whether it's in a changer and that this action
could really bork the changer (like the ADIC VLS DDS units). I don't even like
the erstX variant. Tape ejection should always be a separate command.

If you want this, don't ask the tape driver to do this. Add a flag to dump
(here I am being counter to our other mail thread) to use mtio ioctls to do
what you want.

> # Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
>
> Gods, I wish my 8200 weren't so screwed up.  Anyone got a DDS-2 or an
> EXB-8500 they don't want anymore? :-)

Don't get a DDS2 (I'm really finding that they wear out far too soon).