Subject: Re: Questions regarding dump
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2000 14:03:26
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

# On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 01:01:08PM -0700, Grey Wolf wrote:
# > 1.  Is dump supposed to rewind/eject the medium if possible between
# > volumes?
#
# If you use /dev/erst0 I think it will.

if I do:

for fs in / /var /usr /export; do
dump 0usdf 6000 54000 /dev/erst0 $fs
done

...it will eject the tape as soon as it closes the device, i.e. as soon
as it finishes dumping the root filesystem, which is only 22MB out of a
2048MB tape.  Lot of wasted space, there...

It should rewind/eject the medium if it hits EOT, otherwise it should
stay put.

# Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>

Gods, I wish my 8200 weren't so screwed up.  Anyone got a DDS-2 or an
EXB-8500 they don't want anymore? :-)

				--*greywolf;

	/* Need OpenSource servers?  Try BSD - Solid as a Rock. */