Subject: Re: Questions regarding dump
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2000 13:00:38
FWIW, on my list of things to do this fall are to implement NDMP (tape && data
server) for *BSD (I may even have somebody who might pay me to do it).

Manuel and others have asked me to, now that ELF has shown up in a number of
platforms, to cut new NetWorker versions for NetBSD (probably sometime early
next month- probably should go into the pkg stuff- the FreeBSD ones are in the
ports tree). But I doubt I shall ever release a server for *BSD (the agreement
I have with Legato is a bit vague on this point, but I can assume that they'd
be unhappy if I did), and the source will always be not available (also as per
my agreement with Legato).

Dump/Restore should work reasonably well, I agree, but in my opinion it's
ready for retirement- not renovation. I also have on my list to examine the
current state of rmt to make sure it's happy.

-matt