Subject: Build failure in dhcp on 1.5 branch
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2000 12:03:08
Hi All,

I don't know if this is VAX specific, my setup specific, or generic but I
do know that the 1.5 build breaks on my machine (and has for a while)
trying to build DHCP.

My build machine is a VAX running a 1.4U kernel/userland with build tools
that have been rebuilt from the mid June sources. (I have one local change
which is to disable the rrs warning.)

I started with a fresh checkout of the 1.5 branch and a clean DESTDIR. Per
the VAX issues I've got 'CFLAGS=-O2' in my /etc/mk.conf to alleviate
problems with the optimizer crashing.

The build error occurs because the -werror flag is used in
src/usr.sbin/dhcp and when building the dns functions in the minires
library the following errors occur:
	res_init.c - res_randomid is implicitly declared
	res_query.c - res_hostalis is implicitly declared
	res_send.c - cur_time is undeclared
	res_update.c - res_mkupdrec isn't declared giving a pointer assignment error

All of this points to some include file not being somewhere. I can manually
get around these errors by adding the necessary defines in the source but
this has been happening for months now (this happened on 1.4Y IIRC) and it
seems that either there is something screwy in the current vax source, or
everyone has some include file somewhere that I don't for some reason.
Anyone have any ideas? Should I just go ahead and submit a PR or is it
something stupid on my part that I forgot to do?

--Chuck