Subject: Re: fxp full-duplex broken under 1.5_ALPHA?
To: Erich T. Enke <Erich.T.Enke@wheaton.edu>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2000 20:10:14
On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 07:37:46PM -0500, Erich T. Enke wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>
> >  > Is this a known problem?  Unfortunately, I won't be able to get boot
> >  > messages from the machine until either later today, or Monday.  I
> >  > wanted to make sure I didn't forget the issue between now and then...
> >
> > Not that I know of.  I've been using fxps in full-duplex w/
> > 1.5_ALPHA constantly, just 10 minutes ago, even.
>
> I assume this is an nsphy?

Yes, I've just verified that.  (We just brought the machine up on the
network)

Here's the boot messages:
fxp0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: Intel i82557 Ethernet, rev 1
fxp0: interrupting at irq 11
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:a0:c9:1c:88:d3, 10/100 Mb/s
nsphy0 at fxp0 phy 1: DP83840 10/100 media interface, rev. 0
nsphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

I've got another one of these cards that I can bring up in a test machine
on Monday to help debug this.

> We have a couple of those here and are still having troubles with
> them.  The move to phys between 1.3 branch and 1.4 branch broke something,
> because anything above 1.3.3 we have to hard code to 100Hdx, and
> autonegotiation doesn't work much at all.  I have yet to try
> 1.5_ALPHA... I'll be able to set that up hopefully within the week.

The problem is 100% repeatable in the machine I set up yesterday (which,
unfortunately, I can't mess with), but assuming I can duplicate
it in another machine (with one of the cards that had problems in the
first machine) on Monday, what do you need from me?  I'm willing to
help out in whatever capacity to see this get fixed in 1.5.  (And 1.4.3,
if the problem exists on that branch!... I can test that too, if need be.)

> But yes, this _was_ a problem and had been bug-reported, but closed when
> only some of the affected parties felt it to be fixed.  We've had problems
> with it since, just haven't said anything because the machine in question
> was still 1.3.3 and we've been able to get by alright.
>
> I'll try and send out some more detailed tests when I'm able.  What sorts
> of things do you need to see?
>
> Erich Enke
> Wheaton College Science Division

Thanks,