Subject: Re: The shell (csh vs bash)
To: SoMoS <netbsd@oem.es>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/2000 15:00:10
"SoMoS" wrote:

>Hi, I'm a newie in the NetBSD world. I have an Efficient ATM card and =
>the only drivers for the card that aren't for windows only works with =
>NetBSD.
>
>Ok, I know just a little about linux and I have worked only with the =
>Suse dist.
>
>Now my question (I think it's time now :) ) NetBSD works with csh and I =
>wish to use bash (it's the shell i know). If I use it the scripts of the =
>system will work? If it won't what i must do? (Perhaps buy a book of =
>csh? :=3D)
>
>Thanks for the help and if it isn't the correct mailing list, please =
>tell me the right one.
>
>THANKS TO EVERY ONE.

You don't need to worry about scripts as they are generally run
with a well defined shell that is independant of your choice of
login shell.  You might find that ksh fits your needs, it is a
bourne-derived shell (like bash) and is a lot smaller and faster.
You can install bash via pkgsrc, but it is not always a good idea
to have root's shell be an extension to the system as it may not
be available in a emergency.  (E.g.:  imagine that you accidentally
pkg_delete bash, now you can't login as root.  :-)

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==