Subject: Re: Installation over a serial line
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2000 20:30:32
Jared D. McNeill writes:
> Unfortunately, PCMCIA ethernet cards are fairly expensive around here
> ($160CDN is the cheapest I've seen). If they weren't so expensive I would
> have bought one, but since $10 null modem is quite a bit less than a $160
> ethernet card (for a laptop that's battery doesn't even work mind you) I
> decided on the cheaper choice. I do have one free port in my hub if I ever
> find a card for a reasonable price, but until then I'm stuck.

Well a very quick look at http://www.pricewatch.com/ shows several PCMCIA
cards for under US$30.  The first place in the list had a 3c589B for US$20
and US$6 shipping.  So you should be able to get something similar in
Canada, or shipped to Canada.

Meanwhile why can't you just use SLIP?  At least the 1.4.2 install floppy
looks like it should support it.  You should be able to exit sysinst,
start slattach appropriately and then restart sysinst and do a ftp install.

Something like:
	# slattach -l -h -s 115200 /dev/tty00
	# ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2

Or something like that.  It has been a while since I've used SLIP. :-)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.