Subject: ftp timeouts disregard IDLE
To: Current NetBSD users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2000 15:44:51
Greetings;

I'm in the midst of a very large file transfer which should have taken,
by all accounts, 39 hours over a 128 kB/s 24x7 line.  I have had to
restart it numerous times.

I'm transferring files in excess of 5MB each (a bunch of MP3s), and after
about fifteen minutes of transferring, the next open/xfer will fail with
a timed out connection.

When I connect, I issue the command "idle 7200", which should set the
idle timeout to 2 hours.  I figure that if I tickle the control session
every now and then, as an mput should be doing every time it initiates
a transfer, the connection should be continuing smoothly as long as
another transfer is initiated before the idle timeout.

What's going on, here?  Is there another setting that I need to twiddle
somewhere?  I have full control over both boxes, so tweaks are no
matter.

				--*greywolf;

		Hi.  I'm not an amoeba in a petri dish.