Subject: Re: tlp won't do full duplex
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/2000 11:09:30
On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 09:35:45AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 08:54:45AM -0600, Jim Bernard wrote:
>
>  >   Unfortunately, that doesn't work with the tlp.  It defaults to 10baseT and
>  > half duplex, so I need to specify 100baseT to get the higher speed, and
>  > whether I specify full-duplex or not (or even -mediaopt full-duplex), the
>  > full-duplex light on the switch goes out.
>
> Right, you have a tlp card which does not have Nway support in the
> driver, yet.
>
> I would like to get this fixed before 1.5 is released.
>
> Note that if you have tlp-supported card that uses a separate PHY, then
> all this works correctly (mostly because the PHYs are *MUCH* easier
> to program).
>
> Now, wrt. it failing to work when you hard-wire 100TX-FDX on the tlp
> end, blame the badly specified IEEE 802.3u standard.

  Does that mean that the card isn't responding properly to what the driver
is telling it, but there still might be some hope of figuring out a way to
make the card stay full duplex when ifconfig requests full duplex?

  Is there a straightforward way to patch the driver to not change the
autonegotiated settings (recall that the full-duplex light on the switch
is on until ifconfig runs)?