Subject: Re: tlp won't do full duplex
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/2000 09:31:18
On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 11:02:13AM -0400, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> If you are taking your card out of autonegotiate mode, then the switch is
> not going to be able to figure out the duplex.  Basically you just need to
> get a NIC that works correctly autonegotiating with your switch, or you
> are stuck at 100Mbit/s half-duplex.  While a switch can figure out whether
> you are talking 10Mbit/s or 100Mbit/s at it (when your NIC is not doing
> NWAY), it has no way to know whether you can receive and transmit at the
> same time.  I have a Netgear 4 port that has dipswitches that will let me
> force the port to full-duplex.  My 8 port switch (Linksys DSS-8E?) doesn't
> have any such fancy stuff so I am forced to get cards that do NWAY right
> with NetBSD for the machines on that switch.

  The problem though is that while the card and the switch _do_ happily
negotiate full duplex, as soon as ifconfig runs, the driver messes it up,
turning off full duplex, no matter what I specify.  So the problem is not
with the card, but apparently with the driver.  I gather then that what
you're telling me is that until tlp does NWAY, I'm out of luck.  Is that
right?  Is there some way I can tell/patch tlp to not mess with the
autonegotiated speed/duplex settings?