Subject: Re: tlp won't do full duplex
To: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/2000 11:02:13
Jim Bernard writes:

>   Unfortunately, that doesn't work with the tlp.  It defaults to 10baseT and
> half duplex, so I need to specify 100baseT to get the higher speed, and
> whether I specify full-duplex or not (or even -mediaopt full-duplex), the
> full-duplex light on the switch goes out.

If you are taking your card out of autonegotiate mode, then the switch is
not going to be able to figure out the duplex.  Basically you just need to
get a NIC that works correctly autonegotiating with your switch, or you
are stuck at 100Mbit/s half-duplex.  While a switch can figure out whether
you are talking 10Mbit/s or 100Mbit/s at it (when your NIC is not doing
NWAY), it has no way to know whether you can receive and transmit at the
same time.  I have a Netgear 4 port that has dipswitches that will let me
force the port to full-duplex.  My 8 port switch (Linksys DSS-8E?) doesn't
have any such fancy stuff so I am forced to get cards that do NWAY right
with NetBSD for the machines on that switch.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.