Subject: tlp won't do full duplex
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/01/2000 22:01:33
I have an Intel system with a 10/100 Sohoware Fast (Macronix 98715AEC-C) PCI
ethernet card attached to a D-Link 10/100 switch.  Both are documented to be
capable of full duplex communication.  When the interface is down (e.g., in
single-user mode), the full-duplex light on the switch glows nicely.  But as
soon as ifconfig brings up the interface, the light goes off.  This happens
even though I specifically request "mediaopt full-duplex".  Note that in that
case, "ifconfig -m tlp0" reports the interface to be in full-duplex mode, even
though the switch shows otherwise.

This happens with both 1.4Z (June 3 sources) and 1.5B (June 30 sources).

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong and/or where
to look for the problem?  Is it possible that the tlp driver is somehow
botching the setting of full-duplex mode on this card?

--Jim