Subject: Re: sysinst - remote upgrade?
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2000 16:28:43
According to Giles Lean:

>I've updated machines "remotely" (aka without plugging in a keyboard
>and screen for the console) but it's not something I'd want to do on a
>production server I cared about.

I have done this but only with a recent backup tape, write-protected,
in the drive, a bootable cd-rom in the cd drive and with access to a
serial console via a terminal server.

>AFAIK the old binary is unlinked and the new one written.  You could
>check the source and/or use ktrace to confirm this.

Just to be clear - sysinst will tell pax/tar to carefully unlink the
file first.  In normal operation I believe that pax/tar just open the
file for write, you have to use the 'u' flag to tell them to unlink
the file first.