Subject: Re: Mozilla build...
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/2000 21:45:39
> Is there any compelling reason to be building Mozilla at any time prior
> to the 2000/9/20 expiration date of the RSA patent?

Yeah: gaining experiences.

The mozilla build with it's 1.4 GB intermediate stuff and 62 MB compressed
binary distribution is one of the bigger tasks for the package system.

To know it's working OK on more than i386 is a good thing, and fixing errors
if not is even better. This will make it possible to get a usefull browser
soon after the patent expired.

Taya-san had some ideas on how to kick the build process into reasonable
shape, so it will produce a set of (smaller) binaries that can be installed
in a reasonable place and work without keeping all that 1.4 GB stuff around.

So this is all very experimental (from various points of view) and if you
need a browser you can depend on for everyday work, this is *not* what you
want! But to help bring it in shape it's necessary to have some advantegeous
people that try to use it for everyday work. Even better if those people
can run one of the official builds any time they find an error and report
the generic errors to the mozzilla people, while reporting the NetBSD specific
ones to us.

On a side note: after first contact with this lyzard I was horrified and
thought it will never work for us. But after Taya's georgious work and the
impressive respnosiveness of the mozilla people I'm begining to see the
light...

Martin