Subject: Re: SOFTDEPS safe for qmail?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/2000 10:21:47
In message <200006171123.EAA19050@salsa.gv.tsc.tdk.com>, Don Lewis writes:
>I think the current softdep free space behaviour is a bug.  I think
>df should immediately reflect the effects of file deletion and if
>a process tries to use this space before the deletions have made it
>to disk, the process should block.  Kirk McKusick disagrees and claims
>that fixing this would be too hard.  I guess that since I'm not prepared
>to submit code to implement this, he wins the argument ;-)

Heh.

BSDi has gotten a bug report on it, and because the result was sufficiently
awful (think about an "expire" run trying to free space until it's got at
least N% free...), it'll probably get fixed.  However, it's going to get
fixed *after* the fine-grained SMP, because any fix that happened before that
would apparently just get destroyed.

-s