Subject: Re: panic: pool_get(mcpl): free list modified...
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/2000 22:41:40
According to John Hawkinson:

>I don't really think this affects whether it is poorly named or not.

Poorly named or not, there are a lot of Sun boot-prom's out there with
it in it.  My first thought when I saw the command was "just like sun
boot prom"

>I was never totallyo clear if that was a bug or a feature.

Clearly you have better sources than I ;-) I just assumed it to be a
feature.

>But doing it that way is a terrible idea. Depending on hardware
>and OS, it's terribly unreliable and often doesn't work, producing
>hard hangs (Solaris 2.5.1 on a sparc 5 comes to mind).

<sun geek>
Ummm wasn't there a kernel fix for that which turned off the sync to
disk?  We had the same problem with a SS1000 (mmmmm thinks EOSL on
those suckers at the end of the year, mmmmm)
</sun geek>