Subject: Re: siop vs. ncr
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2000 16:42:12
On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 07:31:59AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 04:31:27PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
>  > But this won't work if I put such a controller in something else than
>  > an i386, isn't it ?
>
> The EEPROM contents are still valid, and I'd wager that an 875 with only
> a narrow connector ships with an EEPROM that defaults to "wide: no" :-)

I fear that on non-i386 (without BIOS to probe and update the eeproms)
this also defaults to "wide: no". I have a brand new teckram here, I'll
check what the defaults are.
Also note that not all symbios-based controllers have one.

> Plus, we could write a userland utility that could reprogram the EEPROM.

Ok. But we'll still have problems if we want to install on such a disk.

I agree reading the eeprom is a nicer solution, I just wonder if it'll
work in all the cases.