Subject: Re: CD-RW/i386/current
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2000 14:13:09
On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 10:36:53AM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 06:42:36PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > Hmm, don't the current CD-RW drives have large internal RAM buffers?  If so,
> > then isn't it more important to be able to keep the _average_ data flow fast
> > enough - and less important to be able to transfer every byte with a very
> > low latency?
>
> I'm not sure cheap CD-RW have such a large buffer. Yes, it's the average
> data flow which is important.

I'm getting a HP9110i which has a 4 MB buffer (says the HP website).

> But with the disk and CD-RW on the same
> IDE channel you won't be able to do anything else while burning CDs.
> With 2 independant channels you might.

Well, I'll put the CD-RW on a channel of its own (or with an idle CD-ROM
drive at worst).  We'll see what happens.

ATAPI drive is also better because I can put it in any pc without an SCSI
card.. (my QIC, DAT, and main disks are all SCSI, of course).

  -jm