Subject: Re: siop vs. ncr
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/2000 18:18:10
On 15.06.00, 17:35:52, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 01:28:22PM +0200, Bernd Sieker wrote:
>
> Hum, ok so this board is based on a wide chip but only the narrow connector
> is used. Sure, with a wide disk the driver will negotiate wide transfers
> and try to use them; there's no fall-back mechanism (hum depending on how
> things are setup I'm not sure transfers will fail, they may just transfer
> incorrect data with highter bits all 0 or all 1). I'm not sure how to handle
> this; this is a quite unusual setup.

The thing that makes me think it should be possible to detect is that
Linux can do it, see also the Audit-Trail of said PR (kern/6849)

Linux seems to read a Tekram-specific NVRAM, which might contain
information about which interfaces are connected, and which are not.

Well, if I can afford a UW hard disk, I will also consider buying the
DC390F (which is basically the same card, except that it has the wide
interface connected, too).

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: The choice of hundreds worldwide
		-- Tom Harvey