Subject: Re: Union filesystem (again)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/2000 13:13:55
On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 01:02:25PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:

> I know some work was done on this not too long ago, so...
>
> ...is UNION stable enough to use so long as the independent layers are never
> accessed while the union filesystem is mounted?

I'm not aware of the issues that are problematic for union filesystems, and
I should probably research them, but, that said:

I'm using union on a few systems at work, and thus far I've not experienced
any problems. I'm layering some space on top of a read-only pkgsrc tree on
a couple boxes, so I can have a central copy of pkgsrc to update and thus
not need to update on several boxes. It seems to work. A change allowing
obj directories to not require symlinks would rock, though... This would
also rock for regular source. Right now you have to be careful to have
your obj directories in the same place on each system building from a
central source tree, for instance. It can be gotten around with symlinks,
but it's still not ideal.

Anyway, I'm not using union on anything critical, but I *am* using it with
no obvious ill effects.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  If a cow laughed, would
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  milk come out her nose?